56M Reunion Website

Samuel A. Munch, Jr

Our Purpose
56M 2016 Dayton Reunion Agenda
Calendar of Events
San Antonio Fiesta Calendar of Events
Members Page
Dutch Members
Bainbridge Unknowns
Bartow Airbase Unknowns
Spence Air Base Unknowns
Dutch Unknowns
Contact Us
Members' Photo Album
Members Photo Album 2
Members Photo Album 3
T-28s, T-33s
David H. Adrian
Fred D. Bartleson, Jr.
Ed T. Battle
Wynn H. Beidleman
Clifford C. Bizek
Luke H. Boykin
Ronald F. Boyle
John W. Brophy
Byron W. Carell
Thomas B. Case
Tim T. Daugherty
Donald E. Elliott
Thomas W. Fischer
Elmer Funderburk
Randolph Galt
John E. Gillen
Jerome R. Goebel
Fred Horky
Varnum B. Irvine
Roland Brock Jackson
James H. Jenkins, Jr
Lou Karibo
Eugene F. Kranz
Kirby A. Krbec
Kenneth Hood Mackay, Jr.
Delbert L. Mansfield
Leo A. Meyer
Ray Miller
John F. Mitchell
Byron H. Morrill
Samuel A. Munch, Jr
Daniel J. Paukstis
Harry Pawlik
Wilbur L. Robinson
James G. Ross
Robert E. Ruppel
James D. Ryan
Galen B. Sargent
Carl B. Schutz
John A. Sells
Tilden M. Shanahan
John (Jack) R. Sladkey
Wayne D. Smith
Jerry D. Spearman
Jack Sullivan
Neil Tousley
William F. Treichel
James Trice
Andrew T. Vassios
Roger A. Wert
Howard F. Wray
Don A. Zaike

Lieutenant Colonel      USAF (Ret)      

After graduation I went to Moody AFB, Ga. to check our in the F-94.  We finished there in September 1956 and I was assigned to the 465th FIS at Griffiss AFB, NY in the F-89.  I must have really impressed someone there because in May 1957 I was assigned to the 59th FIS at Goose Bay, Labrador.  I married Dolores Haden of Utica, NY shortly before departure. 

The F-102 program at George AFB slipped a year so a number of F-89 crews were stuck in Thule AB, Greenland past their year awaiting replacements.  They sent almost half the 59th squadron to the 74th FIS at Thule as relief.  In the first year, I learned a lot about all-weather flying.   The F-89s were replaced with the George AFB F-102s in May 1958.
In June 1958 I reported, with new bride, to Webb AFB, Texas where I was a flight examiner in the T-33.  First daughter, Traci, arrived in May 1959.  About that time the Air Force strongly suggested that I get a degree in Aeronautical Engineering or find other employment.  They sent me to the University of Arizona (1961-1963) in Tucson, AZ.  Besides a degree we also received our second daughter, Terri, a 1963 New Year’s Day gift.  Most of my flying in that period was the venerable old C-47 of World War II vintage.  That was OK since I was feeling pretty old about that time.  

Armed with a new degree, I reported to Kelly AFB, TX, in San Antonio (1963) to become the Flight Manual Manager (Pilot’s Instructions) for the all-weather F-102.  At the time, I was the only pilot in the Air Force writing pilot’s instructions and maintaining combat ready status in that specific aircraft.  That caused a little trouble so I got another transfer.

In 1965, with full family, we went to Châteauroux Air Base in France to be an Aircraft Accident Evaluation Engineer for the Air Procurement Region, Europe (AFLC).  Something I knew little about but really came to love. I was on call to evaluate aircraft accidents for the US and any foreign nation that requested assistance.  I had my own T-33 and special orders permitting me to travel anywhere at my own will between Bermuda and India, northern tip of Norway to southern tip of Africa. I was invited to all the wars and skirmishes like, Ethiopia uprising, Greek/Turkey and the Israeli Six Day War.  I probably was the first US engineer to walk around a Soviet MiG 21.  

In 1967, General DeGaull kicked us all out of France so the whole unit and mission moved to Wiesbaden, Germany ~ a lovely spot, along the Rhine River with all the wine fields.

In 1968 we returned to the US and I checked out in the F-100 at Luke AFB, AZ. on the way to Viet Nam.  I served partial tours at Bien Hoa AB, SVN (510th TFS) and Phan Rang AB, SVN (612th TFS).   

In 1969 I came home to check out as a B-52 Aircraft Commander stationed at K.I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan (410th BW).  Very shortly I was transferred to U-Tapao AB, Thailand for a B-52 (BUFF) tour.  This base was the fattest way man ever went to war.  Good restaurants, good golf courses, and short flying missions.  I am probably the only pilot to ever land a B-52 with hung, hot bombs in the bomb bay and no flaps on the wings.  No one told me I couldn’t do it, so I did.  After all we were scheduled to go on Bangkok R& R that day.

That tour was interrupted by a call to return stateside and go to Offutt, AFB, Nebraska for a highly classified function with the Joint Strategic Planning Staff as a Foreign Fighter Analysis Officer.  Needless to say I was one of three fighter pilots on that staff.

We stayed at Offutt till 1974 when I returned to Tactical Air Command at Eglin AFB, Fl with the Tactical Air Warfare Center.  We developed a highly classified training program for Generals and senior DOD officials called “Blue Flag”.  I was the first Director of Operations for the 4441st Tactical Training Group.  I retired in there in 1979 after a little over 25 years.

I can safely say that in that period I never went to work.  I was combat ready in every major USAF combat command.  I could hardly wait to see what we were going to do each day.  It was so much fun I should have paid them.  

After retirement I worked for General Research Corporation in Santa Barbara, Ca, They let me live in Florida and work in California.  I was their “token” fighter pilot.  I was called upon to advise, give briefings and wave my hands around talking about flying combat.  Some fun.  Santa Barbara was nice.  During this time Dee and I separated and were divorced in 1984.

In 1986 I was persuaded by some old flying friends to go to Saudi Arabia for BDM Corporation to advise the Royal Saudi Air Force on combat weapons and tactics in Riyadh, KSA.  That turned out to be fun. They insisted that I attend most of the major air shows like Paris, London and Singapore.  Donna Berry Spiers and I were married in 1988 and she left Mississippi to live in Saudi. 

Late in 1989 we took a trip around the world from Bahrain headed east.  We took sixteen weeks to get to New Orleans where Operation Desert Storm interrupted our round the world plans.  We settled down at Surf City, Topsail Beach, NC and remodeled an old beach house from inside out. We made it our home and enjoyed every minute we were there.  In 1993 we returned to Saudi Arabia with Alsalam Aerospace Company (an oxymoron) in Riyadh where I managed the Peace Shield Program for the Saudis and the US.  Hurricane Fran took the beach house in 1996 while we were still in Saudi Arabia.

In 1995 we returned home for one month before returning to Saudi with Lockheed Martin Middle East as a company Director responsible for all Saudi C-130 heavy maintenance in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.  This was a very pretty town.  We learned to scuba dive in the Red Sea.  It was a very interesting place and assignment.  We came home to stay in 1998.

In all this I wrote a book, “Friendly Enemies”, which has not been published.  The story is about my position on the United Nations’ one world government, politically correct combat forces and women in combat.  I plan to self-publish the book this year.  Each of you, all your relatives and friends, should buy a copy to keep it from failing.  I am depending on you!!!
We currently reside in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.  Donna has three boys and I have two girls from previous marriages.  From all this we have two grandchildren.  We are pretty much retired.  I play golf and dream of a way to buy another little airplane.  But if I don’t ever have that one more bird, it is all right.  I was privileged to fly a lot of wonderful airplanes and serve with some fantastic people. 

  Our last great privilege is to be associated with all of you.  We are very proud and grateful for each of you.  Thanks for helping us make such a wonderful life.     

Donna & Sam Munch 2010